Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debugging PS1 / PSN games and PS2 / PSN games on PS3 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debugging PS1 / PSN games and PS2 / PSN games on PS3 ?

Over time, I've been thinking about this possibility, I can currently debug pkg games like:
    Snes9x_next.SELF
    Stella.SELF
    Fb_alpha.SELF
    Fceumm.SELF
    Among other emulators, there is a tool called RetroXMB that makes pkg with built-in emulator without RetroXMB installed on your PS3, so far so good ..
    But I wanted PS1 emulators for CFW 4.76+, the only existing one is mednafen_psx.SELF but it's works up to 4.50, in the dev_flash folder there is another call ps1emu, I can do a self debug from ps1_netemu.self and replace them through Dev_blind but without success the game causes an error when starting, I have no idea how to debug ps1 / psn or ps2 games, Cain has a tool called "psx debugger" that connects through ccapi or tmapi, but for me it is useless It is full of bug and very slow, I do not know if anyone has any idea how to debug ps1 games through ps3? I know there is some way, we have not found it yet

Originally posted by GuitarMan View Post
    Over time, I've been thinking about this possibility, I can currently debug pkg games like:
    Snes9x_next.SELF
    Stella.SELF
    Fb_alpha.SELF
    Fceumm.SELF
    Among other emulators, there is a tool called RetroXMB that makes pkg with built-in emulator without RetroXMB installed on your PS3, so far so good ..
    But I wanted PS1 emulators for CFW 4.76+, the only existing one is mednafen_psx.SELF but it's works up to 4.50, in the dev_flash folder there is another call ps1emu, I can do a self debug from ps1_netemu.self and replace them through Dev_blind but without success the game causes an error when starting, I have no idea how to debug ps1 / psn or ps2 games, Cain has a tool called "psx debugger" that connects through ccapi or tmapi, but for me it is useless It is full of bug and very slow, I do not know if anyone has any idea how to debug ps1 games through ps3? I know there is some way, we have not found it yet
    a little late to answer, but I am trying to port some codes on psx for myself atm.
    I have found using ps3mapi and netcheat works to some point, where you can dump memory and also use the memory viewer plugin. in netcheat, select PS3MAPI at API options and just attach to ps1_emu/ps1_netemu process and search for the psx ram. it depends on which emu you are loading, but default is ps1_emu

now running on ps1_netemu, for vagrant story the ram starts at 0x780780 but maybe this will change on reboot
    btw, you can disassemble the ram dump with ps2dis if it is not already known

edit
    for ps2 there is no other way than using ps2 homebrew or alike, since there is no lv2 debugging possible. you could dump lv1 memory (which also includes ps2 ram to some point), but for this you have to use a modified ps2_netemu.self and I haven't tried it myself so far. when I have done some tests with it, I will post here results.

meh, just remembered, this method depends on ps2classics, so it is a pita...
    Last edited by rippchen; 10 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rippchen View Post

a little late to answer, but I am trying to port some codes on psx for myself atm.
      I have found using ps3mapi and netcheat works to some point, where you can dump memory and also use the memory viewer plugin. in netcheat, select PS3MAPI at API options and just attach to ps1_emu/ps1_netemu process and search for the psx ram. it depends on which emu you are loading, but default is ps1_emu

now running on ps1_netemu, for vagrant story the ram starts at 0x780780 but maybe this will change on reboot
      btw, you can disassemble the ram dump with ps2dis if it is not already known

edit
      for ps2 there is no other way than using ps2 homebrew or alike, since there is no lv2 debugging possible. you could dump lv1 memory (which also includes ps2 ram to some point), but for this you have to use a modified ps2_netemu.self and I haven't tried it myself so far. when I have done some tests with it, I will post here results.

meh, just remembered, this method depends on ps2classics, so it is a pita...

the only thing that worked for me is the PS3 api manager, but it's very slow. I'm not a good tool to scan, I even found some things in memory of ps1 for PSN games, I wanted something more precise as a ccapi attachor so I could choose the process to attach, do you have any other way to do that and want to share?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarMan View Post

the only thing that worked for me is the PS3 api manager, but it's very slow. I'm not a good tool to scan, I even found some things in memory of ps1 for PSN games, I wanted something more precise as a ccapi attachor so I could choose the process to attach, do you have any other way to do that and want to share?
        the only other thing I can think of, is using the old ccapi 2.50 sprx, which was also able to attach to different processes, which I have found by incident. problem is, if you install it as usual, it will mess up the system and will freeze on startup because of cobra payload. so please do NOT install it and you have to load ONLY the sprx file.

I am running a modified cobra version, where I have changed the syscall, so it does not interfere with other homebrews/syscalls. this way I was able to install those old ccapi versions without problems, but nobody wanted to accept my changings on cobra back then.

I could write a homebrew which will include and load that 2.50 ccapi.sprx file to system if you want to give it a try. that old version is also faster in scanning with netcheat.

edit
        for this you have to use an old version of netcheat of course, which still supports 2.50 ccapi

I will make tests with 2.50 ccapi first, to see if it really can attach to ps1emu and report back
        Last edited by rippchen; 15 minutes ago.

Comment

Working...
        X